Saturday, February 16, 2008

Welcome to my world

Hello out there in Blogger Land. This is my new blog to track my progress (or lack thereof) in the sport of triathlon over the next year. I was bitten by the bug last year after finishing last in my AG at the Windsor triathlon. Somehow the fact that I finished last was what thrilled me the most. I have always been a person to who excels at most things I set out to do. This whole endurance thing has kicked my ass in the last year however.





A little about me, I quit smoking after 20 years on New Years Eve 2006. I was 40 pounds overweight and in terrible shape. I have two beautiful little girls and a gorgeous wife (whom I adore). For the majority of my life I was an asshole who took everything in my life for granted and almost lost it all because of that attitude. Around 5 years ago my view on life changed and now in the last year I have transformed physically as well. I lost the forty pounds (last body comp had me at 10.8 body fat) and discovered run, bike, swim, repeat.



Running has connected me spiritually more than any other activity in my life. When the stresses of life weigh on my shoulders, I find that each step on the road lightens the load. It allows me time to reflect on how lucky I am that I have a healthy family that loves me, a job and a little money in the bank.

Getting up at 5 am to swim with my group at the college reinforces a self discipline that lacked in my world my entire life. Setting an example for my children of how to live a healthy and HAPPY life is a miracle that I get to live every day.

The biggest thing that triathlon training is teaching me is for me to find peace in my training I must meet the needs of my family first, my training second. It is hard to train effectively when I know I sold my family short today in order to pursue this selfish sport.

I look forward to sharing more of myself over the coming months.

Dave

No comments: