Sunday, March 2, 2008

Spring Thaw 5k



What a great day. The Running Factory in Windsor organized their 16th annual Spring Thaw 5k. Almost 400 registered 5k runners were on hand to cheer on the Kids Dash and kids 1k pre race. They call it the pre race show but it certainly seemed to me that there was a whole lot more cheering for them then there was for the adults lol. My daughter was spectacular in her first ever race and was beaming with pride upon receiving her medal. As I have stated before both of her parents make up an impressive collection of participant ribbons so the deck is stacked against her.

Impressively the 5k went off almost on schedule. The pack was really bunched up at the beginning of the race because the street we started on was fairly icy. After the first 400m however things sped up once we made the turn onto Riverside Drive. Lots of people running the out and back course gave me plenty of time for people watching and when we made the turn I got to see alot of people that I knew on my way back. Personally I had a good run with their time of 23:25 (My garmin had me at 23:00 for 3.14 miles but i digress). I got to see some people from swimming and from work so there was lots to do. My brother in law followed a RW couch to 5k program and finished with a wicked 26.35. Awesome job.
Had a great day
Dave

4 comments:

Donald said...

Congrats to your daughter! Pretty solid run byyou, also.

BTW, your tag post is up on my blog now.

Patricio said...

Great time man!
The pics are cool too.. looks cold but fun!
You're little one wiht the medal looks so cute!
We are running a 5K on the 30th this month (me and my wife.. it's her first 5k ever and i am running with her to cheer her up - and the girls on a jogging stroller) The girls both are doing the 1 mile fun run.... we'll see how that goes, I think 1 mile it's kinda too long for them.
PC

Jeff said...

Hey Dave I was just reading kona shelley's blog. She is in our Masters Swim she is the fast one at the far right of the pool :)
Check out her older post http://ironm4n.blogspot.com/2007/12/last-swim-day.html

tracie said...

congrats to your daughter!!! she is on her way to filling up her own shelf of medals! :)